Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Workday Wednesday - The Public Benefit Boot Company

Alfred William Warry, my great grandfather, started working at the young age of 13.  I guess that was not uncommon during that time period.  In the 1891 census Alfred is living with his parents, George Augustus and Emily Warry.  He is 14 and is listed as a shop assistant.  His brother, George, is 13 and working as an errand boy.  Ten years later Alfred is found in the 1901 census living with his wife, Edith and daughter Dorothy (my grandmother).  He is now the shop manager of a Boot Shop living at 110 High Road, Chiswick, Middlesex, England.  

I wondered what company he was working for as a shop assistant and manager. I found that he worked for The Public Benefit Boot Company, when I discovered that I could google for genealogy information.  Alfred William Warry is an uncommon name and I found a whole web site about The Public Benefit Boot Company.  And there was my great grandfather with a little bio about him starting at the age of 13 and becoming the manager of the 110 High Road, Chiswick shop 10 years later.  Of course, I became hooked on googling.  

Since then I’ve been in contact with the creator of the website, Brian Seddon, and updated him with a little more information about Alfred William Warry.  The Public Benefit Boot Company is an interesting site all about the company, the people who worked there, and the shareholders.  

I was quite surprised to find him working at a boot company, as my Dad always talked about him having a dog kennel.   But it’s not surprising that some people have more than one kind of occupation in a lifetime. 


More about Alfred William Warry:

52 Ancestors - Alfred William Warry - Failure as a Bootmaker
Workday Wednesday - Acme Dog Kennel

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Jacqueline,
    Thanks for joining in on "Workday Wednesday"! Isn't it amazing the information we can find using Google for genealogy? My great-grandfather was a shoemaker, but I think he worked independently.

    ReplyDelete