Thursday, April 20, 2017

Treasure Chest Thursday - Letis E. Littrell, 1st Pension Letter


Me - My Mom - Ruby Alberta Belknap - Bessie Beatrice Landers - Angeline Henrietta Littrell - Letis Ellen Knox (Littrell)


Quite a few years ago, I ordered the  Civil War pension application for my 3rd great grandmother, Letis E. (Knox) Littrell from the National Archives in Washington, D.C. I remember it was quite exciting to see these records when I finally received them. A cousin recently contacted me about the Littrell family after reading my blog. So now may be a good time to share these records. There are eight pages and one title page, so I'll split them up. The first letter is dated December 31, 1862, about a month after her husband dies from lung disease contracted during his service. She states that she married John H. Littrell on September 20th, 1852, which matches their marriage record. Margaret Robinson and Mr. Kyne, residents of Dubuque, are character witnesses for Letis. My 3rd great grandmother signs her name at the bottom of the first page. It's amazing to see your ancestors script from 155 years ago. 



 Source: 
Federal Military Pension Application, Letis E. Littrell, widow's pension, service of John H. Littrell (unassigned recruit, 12th regiment of infantry, civil war); pension file no. 11 273, National Archives, Washington, D.C.

More about the Littrell Family:


No comments:

Post a Comment