Friday, March 2, 2012

Fearless Females - Favorite Female Ancestor


Thanks to Lisa Alzo of The Accidental Genealogist for Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts for March in honour of National Women’s History Month in the USA.  It's a great encouragement to write about our female ancestors, who sometime get lost in the family tree. 

Do you have a favorite female ancestor?  One you are drawn to or want to learn more about? Write down some key facts you have already learned or what you would like to learn and outline your goals and potential sources you plan to check.

What a hard choice to choose one as your favorite.  It's like choosing one of your children as your favorite.  Each of them are unique and have their own qualities. Since I've been trying to focus my research on my Scottish side, a female ancestor who intrigues me would be my third great grandmother, Ann Hunter.  She married James Paterson, a spirit dealer, in Glasgow, Scotland on June 5th, 1810.  They have the following children, all born in Glasgow, Scotland:
James Paterson born May 1, 1811
Francis Paterson born December 12, 1812
Johnston Paterson born 19 February 1819
Alexander Paterson born 3 August 1823
Mary Paterson born June 7 1826
These are the children that I know about, there could be more as there is a gap in some of the birth years.  I don't know much about Ann Hunter.  I'm unsure of who her parents were and when she died.  It seems that both Hunter and Paterson are a common surname and Ann, a common first name.  I think she may have born in Glasgow, as her marriage record states she is a resident of Glasgow. Maybe the clue to her father's name is in the naming of her sons.  The Scottish seems to have a naming system.  I'll continue my search by looking over the Scottish birth and baptisms index on Family Search. 

No comments:

Post a Comment